Saturday, November 16, 2013

Cooking Club! Reading, Writing, Social Skills, and a Yummy Time!

I discovered a great kids' magazine called Chop Chop! put out by the American Pediatric Association. My students selected this Soba Noodle Salad for Cooking Club this week. I originally started the lunchtime group for a resource student who hated reading. She is in the 6th grade and is leading the group now. And....her reading level has increased by a year since we started reading children's cookbooks, and double-dosing her with lots of other interested books!
We also have two students with autism in this group, and they really look forward to Cooking Club. They invite a couple of friends from their general ed classes, and we end up with an eclectic group of students, included English Language Learners. 
Needless to say, we always make a mess, have a blast and everybody wins!
 


Here's my TPT product "A Recipe For...."
http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/A-Recipe-For-Informational-Text-766204





3 comments:

  1. Cooking club is a GREAT idea! That salad looks very yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Jaqui, I only do it about once a month, and I leave it up to the kids to choose the menu, and bring 50% of the ingredients. One of my 6th graders led the group last time!

      Delete